Searching for images in stock photo agencies does not have to be difficult. Many stock photo websites are incorporating user-friendly interfaces and hassle-free navigation to make the search fun and interesting. Here are some tips on having a wonderful image searching experience.
- Search in your own language. Some stock photo sites are available in many countries and in many languages. Choose the ones with the same quality and keyword range.
- Narrow down your searches with specific keywords. Let’s say you typed a certain keyword and thousands of image results come out. Narrow down your search by adding specific phrases. For instance, you can add white background to narrow your results to images with white backgrounds. This will reduce your results by as much as 5,000.
- Find similar images. Even though you found the image that suits your creative needs, you can still look for better images. Select keywords that match the images you are looking for.
- Search by product type. What type of photo are you looking for? Are you looking for royalty-free images, illustrations, graphics, videos or music? Be sure to search according to your desired product type to save time and effort.
- Use keyword hints. When you search, enter keywords related to your search. Look at the image details and use it as inspiration to find what you are looking for. This will help you perform a more effective search.
- Use keyword suggestion. Some websites has keyword suggestion features. You can refine your search to see related keywords and find similar images.
- Take your time. Take some time to learn about your stock image site. As long as you know how to use the stock website you are getting your images from, it will not be difficult for you to find what you are looking for.
- Eliminate terms in your search. There are websites that allow you to exclude terms in your search. You can do so by adding a minus sign or the word NOT. For instance, when looking for cities in Europe you can exclude a specific city. (e.g. European cities NOT London.
- Use advanced search options. Most stock image agencies offer advanced search options. Although it is intuitive to use, it can be really helpful once you know how it works. Once of the advanced search features allows you to choose between horizontal and landscape orientation.
Searching for images in stock photo agencies should never be stressful. As long as you search for cheap stock photos in a good stock image site, you will find the searching experience easy and enjoyable. What stock photo agency are you currently using for your creative project? Are you satisfied with its interface? Use these tips to help you find the images that suit your creative needs.